недеља, 18. март 2012.

Mosaic Reflection


 


 Upon completion of your mosaic, explain the meaning of your symbol, reflect on the process of making a mosaic, and imagine what it would have been like to create a large scale mosaic in a church over 1500 years ago.

For this assignment, I decided to create the Calvary cross. This is a Latin cross on top of three steps.  Calvaria is the name of a small mound outside of Jerusalem’s gate and means ‘the place of the skull’ because it was the place of suffering. The Calvaria cross can sometimes be called the Graded Cross, which is designed as a Latin cross raised on a pedestal made out of three steps (each getting smaller and smaller than the others). The reason this type of cross has three steps is because tradition explains that the steps stand for Faith, Hope, and Love (3). Calvary was the location where Jesus Christ was crucified.
Before I even started making this mosaic, I thought it would be a piece of cake- since it looks so easy to do. But as I started creating it, I realized I had to be extremely patient and calm in order to fulfill my expectations. I found making this mosaic extremely frustrating and easy-going at the same time. It was frustrating because I was scared of the consequences of gluing a piece in the wrong place- which I thought would ruin my art! But making this was also easygoing because I had to do the same thing over again without needing to think of new things at the same time. (From my perspective, making a mosaic is less baffling than creating an essay). As you can see, I have a variety of colors on my piece. The colors don’t have anything to do with the Calvary cross; it was of my own choice. When I finished creating this wonderful piece of art, I noticed that my Calvary cross was not in the middle, instead it was on the side- this wasn’t purposefully done, but I think it looks way better than what I had originally planned, it looks different and more intriguing- it can leave the viewer wondering why it’s done that way. Creating my mosaic took me over 3 classes to finish; and throughout my designing, I realized a very important thing. 1500 years ago it took artists WAY longer, they had to have WAY more experience, have WAY more patience to complete a REAL mosaic!! Also, they didn’t make mosaics out of paper; they made it out of glass, which is even harder!  Overall, creating an almost real mosaic has been an amazing experience! In the future, not only do I need to create symbols of religion, but I can also make other creative things of my choice in my free time.

Нема коментара:

Постави коментар